-
May 11th, 2000, 06:32 PM
#1
Inactive Member
What did you do after collage to get whereever you are?
-
May 12th, 2000, 07:12 AM
#2
Mark Jury
Guest
If you want a career in film, collage can be a bloody waste of money.
-
May 12th, 2000, 07:46 AM
#3
Inactive Member
I wast'nt expecting such a sarcastic response, I would like to have a degree before I become permanetly broke.
-
May 12th, 2000, 08:21 AM
#4
Inactive Member
Collage can be lots of fun - sticking all those bits of coloured paper, milk bottle tops etc. down to make an interesting design. Lovely!
-
May 12th, 2000, 11:34 AM
#5
Inactive Member
right on, red raven.... ha ha
-
May 12th, 2000, 04:53 PM
#6
Inactive Member
i dunno know about in the uk but.....if by "collage" you are referring to the post secondary educational facility you would actually spell it "COLLEGE". The other spelling refers to a work of art made by compositing different mediums onto a piece of paper.
here in lies the confusion.
ttfn.
tash.
-
May 14th, 2000, 12:15 AM
#7
Inactive Member
You shouldn't have told him Tashunka. This post could have been quite interesting!!
-
May 14th, 2000, 09:21 AM
#8
Inactive Member
After collage we ended up having our free milk then story time... then creative painting and then it was hometime.. until Thatcher got rid of the free milk - the old sow..
After I graduated from film school I went out and got a proper job for a couple of years:
a) So I could see what the 9 to 5 lifestyle was like (It didnt suit me)
b) I had enuff money saved up to support myself while I spent years in the artistic wilderness trying to get movies made.
If you are willing to live on beans on toast for ten years then film is a pretty good career option...
-
May 15th, 2000, 12:18 PM
#9
eddie
Guest
You want life story? Happy to oblige:
Went to Uni for 4 years and did a general degree in all things worldly, and then specifically in Mathematics and Electronics.
Worked night shift in a bakery for a year.
(few storys there...)
Picked Bananas and worked on farms in Australia for a year.
(few more storys)
Lived in Edinburgh for 6 months doing casual acting work and washing dishes in a hotel and hung out in a late night cinema more than was healthy
(and more stories)
Did an MSC in Maths at Dundee.
(not many storys)
Worked for a software company for 2 years.
(ditto)
Worked as a web/computer twat for 2 years.
(ditto, but learned to bullshit for england)
Finally decided to get of my arse and make a film.
Made part one, am making part 2 and 3, for the full feature effect.(they are all shorts) Using my own money and any person I can enrol into doing it. By talking to perfect strangers in pubs or in the street. And I never thought Id have the guts to do that.....
Money? Forget money. Friends? just hope they are really good ones. Easy life? PREPARE TO SUFFER LITTLE CHILDREN!!! Everything goes toward the project. That sccchlleppppping wet farting sound as your mental images and ideas get squirted out of your head in-stream-of-conciousness mayhem and onto a long thin strip of plastic.
And then what?
and then why?
Show it to a bunch of people and hope someone likes it.
And then what?
What about after-film ???? Welcome to the post film blues....
-
May 15th, 2000, 12:56 PM
#10
Inactive Member
When going to college or Uni, this much is true - you get out what you put in. Some people on my Uni course left with a beer gut and a drug habit; I left with three feature-length videos under my belt, and a DV short which has since received TV exposure. Because these were made on university equipment, with fellow drama students making up the cast, they cost virtually nothing to make.
And as an added bonus, I came out with a 2:1 degree which helped me to secure my current job (but don't expect anyone in the film industry to be impressed by qualifications).
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks